Sunday, September 23, 2007

Iola sucks + Crash victim

On Friday night I went out with some friends and I hung out till the wee hours of the morning which would reverbarate throughout the weekend. I drank far too little and didn't eat enough on Saturday @ camp and I knew it. Sunday rolled around and I knew that I had done all that I could, to over my decision to go out friday night. I took lots of endurolytes, a couple of GU gels, and Gatorade. I did decide to ride single speed again. I did pre-ride the course on Saturday and I felt ok with the bike and gearing. When it came time to start I shot out of the start with a man on a mission only to get in a pileup of about 5 guys about 150 feet into the race. It was my first multi person accident. I had my first accident on pavement in latter June. I only took myself out and it was my own fault. But anyway, the race, I totally lost my mojo after that crash, the first climb went ok, down and around the bowl went fine, second cimb, fine, I was passing lots of people, up until the base of the big hill in the back of the course. The big hill I think is about a 600ft @ about a 7% grade. It was all downhill after that, pardon the pun. I kinda gave up the gusto and hit cruise control if there is such a thing. I just got into a rythem, albeit sub-par. I was the last finisher in single speed. 10th out of 13 entrants. I'm not sure but I think I was in the 150s-160s out of about 200 overall. All in all I don't blame the bike, I don't blame myself, I just had an off day of sorts. I do admit I really need to do intervals, it would help me a ton. I'm really looking forward to '08. No matter what I'm going to do sport, the only decision to be made is to race single speed or age.

2 comments:

julie said...

maybe you have the wrong priorities? see, me, i like to drink, so i'm willing to accept last place. if you prefer placing well to drinking, then, ya know, that's that.

What Do I Feel Like Riding today? said...

I'm really big into nutrition, I feel guilty having a soda. So I do come from the frame of mind, there are foods that make you go fast and foods that make you go slow.