Friday, October 12, 2007

The Almost screw-up, Blame MC

On Thursday my afternoon class was cancelled, I knew this somewhat in advance and I knew that I needed new brake pads. So I decided to go down to Expo and throw some on there. Of those who know me well, know that I do not have extensive mechanical knowledge of bikes, as far as tuning and stuff of that nature. Irregardless I decided that I would take a stab at it, I had something like 4 or 5 hours to kill. Rear wheel went alright, I had some problems with pad adjustment, but Mike helped me out.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
New Rear Pads

I went onto the front removed the drive side caliper because while I was replacing the pads I decided to give a thorough cleaning, overhauling and greasing. when I went to take the non-drive side caliper off I found that the whole thing was spinning. The part where the spring pops into to hold in the spring tension was spinning freely.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I went to mike and was like "should that be happening or did I do something wrong" and mike was like. That's not right. So then I made the decision to run home and get my spare fork, the OEM Fork. I was putting that back on when I made the point, it was only 3:30, why don't' we give ritchey a call and see what their policy is on warranty. We called QBP and while he was on the phone with Quality realized, try to tighten up caliper post. So I did as he directed, and guess what, it stopped spinning. Hallelujah. So now I had to go backwards and uninstall my OEM fork which was already in my bike

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and reinstall the Ritchey Fork and Continue with my original job of installing brakes. At least I ended up cleaning the steerer and learning how to uninstall and install forks, yay for me. So in the end, was it my Fault, yes, Was it Mikes Fault, yes, chalk it up to a learning experience.

No comments: